Established in 1950, the Reading Redevelopment Authority has evolved over the past six decades. Originally more of a demolition program, the agency's focus has shifted from preservation to rehabilitation to development. With two full-time staff and a board of five core members, our priority is now the renovation of blighted neighborhoods. We offer a range of services and assistance, and we're often the behind-the-scenes engine that makes things happen. With over a dozen large-scale completed projects, seven in the works and almost one hundred available properties, we are positioned for growth in the coming decades.
To be the catalyst for transforming the City of Reading into a thriving, creative, diverse, entrepreneurial community.
The Reading Redevelopment Authority is committed to creating jobs, expanding the City's tax base, and improving the vitality of businesses and neighborhoods.
Serving as the development financing and real estate transactions agency for the City of Reading, our role is to:
- stimulate investment and development in the City's central business district and residential neighborhoods;
- underwrite housing and economic development financing proposals;
- assist for-profit and non-profit developers in packaging debt and equity financing obtained from public and private sources including performance-based incentives and loans;
- acquire and convey vacant and underutilized real estate to qualified redevelopers;
- assemble, map, market, prepare and convey sites for major mixed-use developments;
- provide a portfolio of educational materials and programs that include: small business counseling and training; standards for quality affordable housing; and alternative/grass roots opportunities for community revitalization.